The 450 Bushmaster is sort of a beast of a hunting cartridge with some peculiar attributes that make it either a round that people like or not, but no real in-between. Some of these attributes may make it a challenging gun to scope properly. So, what would be the best rifle scope for a 450 Bushmaster? You are in the best spot to find out.
Follow along as we outline some of the characteristics of the 450 Bushmaster, then highlight our top five picks for the best scopes for this cartridge. Maybe you’ll even find one of these to be the perfect scope for your rifle.
As stated before, the 450 Bushmaster is kind of a beast, or maybe even a monster round. This cartridge is essentially an over-sized pistol round; the more powerful version of the .45 round made for a hunting rifle.
Like the .45, it packs a lot of power and has a tremendous recoil. This needs to be taken into account when looking for the perfect scope. You are going to want something rugged that will stand up to the abuse it’s going to take from all that kick-back.
If you are familiar with the .45 round, the 450 Bushmaster is about the same size, but with more powder behind it.
The cartridge is about two inches long and comes in different grain weights averaging between a 250gr and 300gr load, with velocities of about 2000 to 2200fps. In other words, it’s a heavy load! This is why it kicks like a mule.
Probably not the most important factor in your scope decision, but based on the weight of the round itself, it would be advantageous to go for a scope that’s lighter in weight.
You also want to be sure that your setup is rock solid with no movement at all. The more stable your scope is, the more accurate you will be. Not to mention prolonging the life of your scope.
Accuracy And Range
The 450 is not what you’d call super accurate. This is due to it being such a large and heavy cartridge. For this reason, this caliber should not be considered long-range by any means.
Optimally, you would want to keep hunting to the 250yd maximum distance. That said, this caliber is a great performer in almost any hunting environment except maybe open plains areas where longer shots may be required.
This is good news when trying to pick out the perfect scope. As stated many times before, you want to keep your magnification setting to the lowest possible setting that allows you to see your entire target image clearly.
For the 250yd max distance, you certainly don’t need a scope with a huge magnification power. Keeping the magnification options on the lower power spectrum makes for a much more affordable scope.
The 5 Scopes We Recommend
Vortex Optics Crossfire II 3-9×40
- The 3-9x40 Crossfire II riflescope is one of many configurations in the Crossfire II line. The V-Plex reticle is a popular...
- With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you'll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target....
- Anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views for the user.
- Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
- A single piece tube constructed from aircraft grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance. O-ring sealed and...
The Vortex Optics Crossfire II is a 3-9x40mm scope featuring a V-Plex MOA reticle that’s designed for a wide variety of hunting applications. The scope has a long eye relief and ultra-forgiving eye box allowing you to attain your sight picture and acquire your target quickly. The fast-focus eyepiece makes reticle focusing quick and easy.
The lenses of this optic are fully multi-coated and anti-reflective providing a bright, clear view of your target. This scope is designed of a single piece tube constructed of aircraft-grade aluminum for superior strength and shockproof qualities.
It also is O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged for waterproof and fog proof performance. It is completed with capped finger-adjustable reset turrets with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
Customers of this scope like the quality and the features for the price. They like that you can adjust the eyepiece for better clarity and that it’s easy to zero and holds zero well. Along with all this, Vortex has a great warranty in place and good customer service that’s made their customers truly loyal.
Customer complaints include that some of the versions of this scope have a hard time holding zero and that the image picture gets cloudy at higher magnification settings.
Others have reported issues with the reticle rotating or being off-center.
- V-Plex MOA reticle
- long eye relief
- ultra-forgiving eye box
- fast-focus eyepiece
- fully multi-coated, anti-reflective lenses
- single piece aircraft-grade aluminum construction, O-ring sealed, nitrogen purged
- shockproof, waterproof, fog proof
- capped finger-adjustable reset MOA turrets
- great warranty
- may have issues holding zero
- may have reticle issues
- blurriness at higher magnification settings
Nikon Buckmasters II 3-9×40
- Extremely bright sight picture
- Fully multicoated lenses
- Patented BDC reticle
- Generous, consistent eye relief
- Waterproof, fog proof, shockproof
The Nikon Buckmasters II is a 3-9x40mm scope packed with a multitude of features including a patented BDC reticle, fully multi-coated lenses, an extremely bright sight picture, and a generous, consistent eye relief.
Nikon’s patented BDC reticle is unique in that it has see-through ballistic circles down the lower half of the vertical cross-hair line which is amazing for long-range shooting, yet still offers a normal sight-picture for closer-range shots, keeping the cross-hair itself as the aiming point. It also allows for a dead-on hold at those long-ranges.
The fully multi-coated optical system provides multiple layers of anti-reflective compounds on every glass surface allowing optimal light transmission from dawn to dusk, and bright, vivid picture images.
As great as the lenses are, the rest of the scope is protected just as well. Being O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, this scope is completely shockproof, waterproof and fog proof.
On top of all these features, this scope is optimized for use with Nikon’s Spot On Ballistic Match Technology, Nikon’s no fault repair or replacement policy, and Nikon’s limited lifetime warranty.
Customers of this scope love the super clear, bright glass, the ease of sight-in, and that it holds zero. Most adore the Spot On Technology, and this scope is very high quality, and a budget pick to boot! It seems that one consistent complaint about this scope is that some people have had issues with the reticle disconnecting.
- patented BDC reticle
- fully multi-coated lenses
- bright sight-picture
- generous, consistent eye relief
- shockproof, waterproof, fog proof
- Nikon Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
- Nikon No Fault Repair/Replacement Policy
- Nikon Limited Lifetime Warranty
- budget pick
- possible problems with the reticle breaking loose
Leupold 110797 VX-2, 3-9×40
- 1/4 MOA precision finger click adjustments for windage and elevation offer absolute repeatability and dependability over a...
- Absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity each is ready for a lifetime in the field, in all conditions.
- A versatile 3:1 zoom ratio erector system that is ideal for virtually any situation.
- DiamondCoat lens coatings on exterior lens surfaces provides the ultimate in abrasion resistance. The result is a flawless...
- A Leupold exclusive, our Index Matched Lens System provides exceptional brightness and extremely sharp resolution across the...
The Leupold VX-2 is a 3-9x40mm compact rifle scope with a duplex reticle. This scope has absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity and is ready for a lifetime in the field in all conditions.
Flawless sight picture over a lifetime of hard use is the result of the DiamondCoat lens coatings on the exterior lens surface, which provides the ultimate in abrasion resistance. Also exclusive to Leupold is the Index Matched Lens System which provides exceptional brightness and extremely sharp resolution across the entire visual field.
Additional features of this scope are the versatile 3:1 zoom ratio erector system that is ideal for any situation, and ¼ MOA precision finger click windage and elevation adjustments that offer absolute repeatability and dependability over a lifetime of extreme use.
Customers of this scope praise the high quality, useful features and that it’s made in the USA. They love how lightweight this scope is, great field of view and extremely crisp optics. Many express that for a no-frills hunting scope, this Leupold VX-2 is the best they have ever owned.
The only real consistent complaint seems to be an issue with the turrets adjustments either being too stiff and breaking or reversed and not adjusting. It seems to be an issue that is uncommon though.
- compact and lightweight
- duplex reticle
- waterproof, fog proof
- DiamondCoat lens coatings
- Leupold Index Matched Lens System
- 3:1 zoom ratio erector system
- ¼ MOA precision finger click, repeatable adjustments
- possible malfunctioning or defective turrets
Nikon ProStaff 3-9×40
- Compact riflescope with 3 to 9x magnification and 40mm objective lens
- Fully multicoated optical system transmits up to 98 percent of available light
- Zero-reset turret with spring-loaded adjustment knob; 3.6 inches of eye relief
- Nitrogen-filled, O-ring-sealed housing for waterproof, fogproof performance
- BDC reticle; quick-focus eyepiece; measures 12.4 inches
The Nikon ProStaff is a compact 3-9x40mm scope with a unique open circle ballistic BDC reticle and a quick-focus eyepiece. The tough aluminum body of the ProStaff is nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed for waterproof and fog proof performance. It has a fully multi-coated optical system that boosts light transmission for bright, high-contrast views.
This scope also features zero-reset turrets with a spring-loaded adjustment knob and precise hand-turn ¼-inch positive click adjustments that gets you zeroed quicker and allows you to maintain your setting, even under heavy recoil. A good 3.6-inches of eye relief, Nikon’s Spot On Ballistic Match Technology, the No-Fault Repair or Replacement Policy and Nikon’s Limited Lifetime Warranty just work to sweeten the all-around package for this scope.
This scope is exceeding customers’ expectations, with crystal clear glass and a good field of view. They are loving how easy it is to sight in and holds zero exceptionally well. On the other hand, several other customers have expressed that it is difficult to zero and won’t hold zero at all.
- compact scope
- open circle ballistic BDC reticle and quick-focus eyepiece
- aluminum body, nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed. Waterproof and fog proof
- fully multi-coated optical system
- zero-reset turrets with spring-loaded adjustment knob
- 3.6-inches eye relief
- Spot On Ballistic Match Technology, no-fault repair/replace policy, Nikon’s limited lifetime warranty
- may be difficult to zero in
- may have a hard time holding zero
Vortex Optics StrikeFire II Red Dot Sight
- The Strikefire II Bright Red Dot is a rugged, reliable red dot sight that is at home in a variety of shooting applications....
- Fully multi-coated lenses provide a clean and bright, unobscured point of view. Unlimited eye relief allows for rapid target...
- The single-piece chasis is compact and lightweight but still delivers shockproof performance withstanding both recoil and...
- An offset cantilever mount is provided; allowing you to move the sight forward to be used in conjunction with a magnifier and...
- With aesthetics and functionality in mind, the power controls are at the rear of the Strikefire for easy access. The...
The Vortex Optics StrikeFire II is a reliable and rugged bright red dot sight that allows the shooter to operate between ten different brightness settings to adjust for changing conditions quickly and easily. The fully multi-coated lenses provide a clear, bright and unobscured point of view and unlimited eye relief for rapid target acquisition.
The body of this sight is constructed of a single piece tube that is shockproof, waterproof and fog proof being O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged. The shockproof qualities of the scope protect it from both impact and heavy recoil.
The StrikeFire comes with an offset cantilever mount provided so that it can be moved forward to accommodate a magnifier behind it. All of the power controls are located at the rear of the sight for ease of access.
Customers love the quality of this sight for the price, which is on the conservative side. Many have stated that they set their zero and it maintains zero without question. People also seem to really like the brightness adjustments and the solid, sturdy mount. Most people who have used this really do not have enough good to say about it.
Most complaints about this little sight are that the red dot is blurry or smudgy, and sometimes that it only works intermittently.
- rugged, shockproof, waterproof and fog proof
- bright red dot
- fully multi-coated lenses
- unlimited eye relief
- offset cantilever mount provided
- power control in the rear
- red dot either smudged, blurry or may not work
Is a 450 Bushmaster a decent deer rifle? – Yes. It is powerful and good for hunting applications. It is not particularly a long-range rifle as the bullet is large and heavy and drops significantly after a few hundred yards. Hunting with the 450 Bushmaster should probably be kept to around the 250-yard range.
Now you know the best rifle scope for 450 Bushmaster. A 3X or 4x magnification or a variable scope is perfect for this cartridge as you want to keep the magnification to the lowest possible setting where you can get a nice clear view of the entire image.
A rugged scope with a nice solid mount is important so that it can withstand heavy recoil and possible abrasions. Compact and lightweight scopes would be appreciated in hunting applications.
The less weight you can add there, the better on your back. Hopefully, you have found this guide helpful and can now make the perfect choice for your needs!
If you enjoyed this article you’ll probably like these: