Finding the best SPR scope can be a bit challenging, but is super rewarding. SPRs can be difficult to scope because of the performance and versatility demanded of them.
Your rifle is called to be incredibly precise and able to perform from long to short distances instantly and seamlessly. You need a scope that can effectively achieve and assist in these tasks, otherwise, it will be useless to your rifle.
Here, we’ll give you some ideas on what you would need or want for your SPR, and show you our top five best SPR scopes.
What Is A SPR?
SPR is a special purpose rifle. These rifles are semi-automatic and are somewhere between the lines of the normal everyday rifle and a sniper rifle.
Though SPRs are based on the special operations MK-12 Mod X, it is very common that when talking about these rifles, we’re talking about the AR-15.
These rifles are very effective as an intermediate-long range sniper rifle, long-range small game hunting rifle, or a tactical home defense weapon. They are incredibly versatile and reliable.
Having this versatility is a huge determining factor when trying to find the best scope, as you need a scope that can perform equally at long and short distances, and can easily and instantly be switched between the two.
In other words, your scope needs to be able to match your rifle’s performance.
For proper magnification of your range, you want the lowest possible magnification you can get that still allows you to see your target point clearly.
Too much magnification can be as much of an obstacle as not enough. A true 1 power or 1.5 is great for close range combat or defense situations, while 12x magnification is about as high as I personally like to go.
If you need extreme precision, a higher magnification scope is okay, but remember that you want to see the whole target clearly, otherwise target acquisition becomes difficult if the target moves. Keep in mind that the ability to switch between close and long range quickly is a desired quality here.
Focal plane is an important consideration when choosing an SPR scope. First focal plane is where the reticle size actually changes as the magnification is changed, like zooming in on the reticle.
This is kind of a cool feature, but it can make the reticle point so large that it obscures or hides the target point at higher magnification settings.
The second focal plane has a fixed reticle, so the reticle size never changes, regardless of the magnification setting. This is personally my chosen focal plane preference, though it also has its faults.
At higher magnification settings it can be difficult to see the reticle, as it sort of gets swallowed up by the image. This is another reason why you wouldn’t want to over-magnify your target.
Sometimes you will come across scopes with the reticle in MIL dots while the turrets are set in MOA or visa-versa. This is about as effective as trying to drive the speed limit in MPH while your vehicle is set in kilometers. It’s doable but vastly more difficult and just really doesn’t make much sense.
For the best precision, you really should have a scope with matching turrets and reticles, either in MIL dot or MOA.
Both of these reticle styles are simple to understand and can be used as range finding reticles, but MIL dot is probably the better option in the case of very long distance shooting.
Many people opt for a BDC reticle, but for an SPR, this may not be the best option. BDCs rely on a very specific bullet weight, velocity, environmental condition, and distance in order to be accurate.
In a rifle that is designed to be used in varying circumstances and changed around very quickly, this just probably isn’t the reticle choice you want for the best performance.
The 5 Best SPR Scopes Available
Burris Fullfield TAC30 1-4×24
- The Fullfield TAC30 Riflescopes Series offers a second-to-none close quarter battle (CQB) reticle for competitive shooters and law enforcement and military operators.
- The illuminated center dot and large, bright circle allow for instant target engagement at close distances. Holdover dots provide trajectory compensation out to 600 yards.
- 1x magnification allows for close-in, both-eyes-open shooting. 4x magnification allows engagement of mid-distance targets.
- The ultra-bright, illuminated reticles have a 10-position dimmer you can adjust for all lighting conditions.
- Superb optical glass is multi-coated for maximum low-light and anti-glare performance. It's fully compatible with existing night-vision technology.
The Burris Fullfield TAC30 is incredibly bright and rugged. If you’re looking for mid-range or tactical precision, accuracy, and reliability, then this may be the scope you’re looking for. This scope is 1-4×24 powered with Fastfire III red dot, which offers a second-to-none close quarter battle (CQB) reticle for competition shooting and law enforcement and military operations.
The reticle center dot is illuminated and has a large, bright circle that allows for instant target engagement at close distances, while holdover dots provide trajectory compensation out to about 600 yards. These illuminated reticles are ultra-bright and have a 10-position dimmer that can be adjusted for all light conditions.
The Burris Fullfield has at the low end a 1x magnification setting that allows for close-in, both-eyes-open shooting, while the higher 4x magnification is great for mid-range target engagement.
The excellent optical glass is multi-coated for maximum low-light and anti-glare performance and is fully compatible with existing night-vision technology.
Customers of this scope like that it has great eye relief and that the image is very clear and bright. Plus it mounts easily and securely. The reticle is set up in such a way that you can turn on and off the illumination, and have either a red dot or black dot.
This means that though it requires batteries for the illumination, you have a fail-safe backup in case of dead batteries. Overall, most agree that this is a solid, tough and great functioning scope!
Some things customers don’t like about this scope are that it is a very heavy scope and some of the illumination buttons are stiff or hard to press. This seems to be a bit on the expensive end, though most customers agree that the scope is of high quality and is a terrific value.
Also, be aware that they recommend checking with your state hunting regulations before purchasing this scope to be sure you are in compliance with any prohibited features.
⦁ bright and rugged
⦁ clear glass, great quality
⦁ Fastfire III red dot
⦁ CQB illuminated reticle
⦁ 10 position dimmer for all light conditions
⦁ glass is multi-coated
⦁ illuminated reticle can be turned off for regular black dot
⦁ hard to operate illumination buttons
⦁ a bit pricey
⦁ may have features prohibited in some states
Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4×20
- Repeatable 1/4 MOA precision finger clicks offer intuitive, simple adjustment over a lifetime of dependable use
- Complete waterproof and fogproof integrity: ready for a lifetime in the field, in all conditions
- Crafted from 6061-T6 aircraft quality aluminum
- Twilight Light Management System for superb visibility in low-light conditions
The Leupold VX-Freedom is a tough 1.5-4x powered scope with absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity that’s ready to perform for a lifetime in the field in any and all conditions. It is skillfully crafted from 6061-T6 aircraft quality aluminum.
The ¼ MOA precision finger click adjustable turrets are repeatable and offer intuitive, simple adjustments over a lifetime of dependable use. It comes equipped with a twilight light management system for the best visibility in low-light conditions.
Customers of this scope couldn’t be happier with the quality for the price. They love the bright, clear optics and the good eye relief, and the lightweight design of this little Leupold scope. Another quality product from a reputable brand!
The only real complaint about this scope is that it does not have any labeling on the dials.
⦁ rugged 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, waterproof and fog proof
⦁ ¼ MOA repeatable finger click turrets
⦁ Twilight light management system
⦁ Bright, clear glass
⦁ high quality for the price
⦁ no labeling on the dials
Vortex Optics Crossfire II 1-4×24
- The 1-4x24 Crossfire II riflescope is one of many configurations in the Crossfire II line. The V-Brite reticle uses the V-Plex format with battery-powered electronics to illuminate the center dot for...
- With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you'll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
- Anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views for the user.
- Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
- A single piece tube constructed from aircraft grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance. O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Crossfire II delivers waterproof and fogproof...
The Vortex Crossfire II is a 1-4x powered scope with the V-brite illuminate MOA reticle. This uses the V-Plex style reticle is designed for hunters or shooters in extra low-light conditions.
The illuminated center dot is electronically illuminated and requires batteries to operate. This scope also features a long eye relief and ultra-forgiving eye box, which enables quick target acquisition. It has a fast-focus eyepiece that allows for quick and easy reticle focusing as well.
The Vortex Crossfire is rugged. Made from a single piece tube constructed of aircraft grade aluminum which provides durability and shockproof performance. It is O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged to deliver a waterproof and fog proof performance.
The lenses are fully-multi coated and anti-reflective for a bright, crisp, clear view. Finally, this scope is on the second focal plane, so the reticle remains the same size all throughout the magnification ranges.
Most customers absolutely rave about this scope, with its superior quality, awesome features to rival the very high-dollar scopes, and all at an excellent price point. Most like the good eye relief and clear, bright glass. Also, it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Customer complaints are varied, but it seems that many have reported problems with a faulty reticle one of the interior seals coming loose inside the scope body while shooting. Others have reported that the battery compartment does not like to secure very well.
⦁ rugged, single tube aircraft grade aluminum constructed
⦁ waterproof, shockproof, fog proof
⦁ fully multi-coated, anti-reflective lenses
⦁ second focal plane reticle
⦁ good price point
⦁ lifetime warranty
⦁ faulty reticle or inner components
⦁ battery compartment not secure
Primary Arms 1-6×24 SFP
- Chevron center aiming point ACSS reticle is BDC compatible with 5.56 NATO, 5.45x39 and .308 Win
- Second focal plane design keeps the reticle the same size through all 1-6x levels of magnification
- Reticle is partially illuminated in red with 11 brightness settings
- 6063-aluminum scope body has multi-coated lenses and is nitrogen purged, fog resistant and IP67 waterproof
- Covered by a lifetime manufacturer warranty for defects due to materials, workmanship or normal wear and tear
The Primary Arms 1-6×24 is a rugged and durable scope, constructed of a 6063 aluminum body with multi-coated lenses, and is nitrogen purged, fog resistant, and has an IP67 waterproof rating. A lifetime warranty is in place to protect against any manufacturers defects or future malfunctions.
The BDC reticle on this scope is part of its patented Advanced Combined Sighting System (ACSS) and is partially illuminated with 11 settings of brightness. This scope is a second focal plane scope, which keeps the reticle the same size throughout all it’s 1-6x magnification settings.
Most customers of this scope agree that the ACSS is way cool and really enhances the functionality of the whole package.
With gripes about how to glass isn’t the best ever, and the eye box is limited, remember the quality of this product for the price. It beats out other scopes of double its value! Most are incredibly impressed with the performance.
⦁ rugged and durable aluminum body with multi-coated lenses
⦁ fog resistant/waterproof
⦁ lifetime warranty
⦁ Advanced Combined Sighting System BDC reticle
⦁ partial illumination with 11 brightness settings
⦁ second focal plane
⦁ great price point
⦁ not the best glass
⦁ limited eye box
- TacFire official product, 1-4x24 tactical CQB rifle scope with tri-illuminated Red/green/blue dot laser etched Glass reticle, Mil Dot Reticle with 1 Piece Quick Release Picatinny Cantilever Scope...
- The scope is constructed of one solid piece of durable T6 6061 aircraft grade aluminum, 1 Extra Rear Scope Ring Mount for Additional Red Dot Sight
- It is also fog proof with shock resistant housing, Nitrogen Charged with weather resistant seals. The lens in the scope is green, multi-coated & Scratch resistant to provide high quality light...
- Cantilever mount constructed of T6 6061 aluminum with anodized matte black finish. Saddle height is 1 inch , short top rail for attaching tactical accessories. Fits most Weaver Picatinny rails. Comes...
- Package includes: removable flip-up lens covers, lens polishing cloth and battery
The TacFire tactical CQB rifle scope is our budget pick with a tri-illuminated red, green and blue dot laser etched glass, MIL-dot reticle with a one-piece quick release Picatinny cantilever scope mount.
It is constructed of a single piece T6-6061 aircraft grade aluminum body, and an extra rear scope ring mount for an additional red dot sight.
The TacFire is fog proof, shock resistant and water resistant with a green colored, multi-coated and scratch resistant lens, which provides great clarity and high-quality light transfer.
This scope is really great for a close quarter combat application. It comes with the scope mount, removable flip-up lens covers, a lens polishing cloth, and a battery.
Customers of this scope say it is high quality for the price, works well and holds zero well. The only real complaint is that the switch for the illuminated reticle is difficult to turn and does not function properly.
⦁ budget pick
⦁ tri-illuminated red, green, blue dot laser etched glass, MIL-dot reticle
⦁ single piece aircraft grade aluminum body
⦁ extra rear scope ring mount for additional red dot sight
⦁ fog proof, shock resistant, water resistant
⦁ green, multi-coated, scratch resistant lenses
⦁ come with extra goodies
⦁ illumination switch may not work properly
I hope this guide has been useful to you in your search for the best SPR scope. Truly, not all scopes are created equal, so with an SPR, be sure of your main objective and primary purpose, then find the scope that has all of the qualities and features that you want.
Don’t settle for less. I know there are many options, choices, and considerations, but your perfect SPR scope is out there waiting for you!