Many people find the 7mm mag to be their go-to hunting rifle, even over the 300 win mag which is often compared to and is the subject of heated debates as to which is the better round.
Without getting into this debate, the fact is that the 7mm mag is a fantastic and reliable hunting round that is fully capable of hunting a wide variety of big game at longer yardages.
Now the question becomes, what is the best scope for a 7mm mag? Check out our top five best scopes and see if you find one with all the features you require for the optimal performance of your 7mm mag.
As a medium-long range rifle, you want a reticle that can perform at farther distances while at the same time being simple and easy to use.
I personally appreciate the simplicity of the duplex reticle in Mildots. These reticles can still be applied as a rangefinder without all of the calculations mixed in. You just want to be sure that if your reticle is in Mildots, your turret adjustments need to match.
Often times you will find Mildot reticles coupled with MOA adjustments, which is like trying to judge your speed in MPH while the vehicle is programmed to kilos. It can work, it’s just not as convenient and would save a lot of trouble to just be a paired measurement.
The focal plane that your scope is on is entirely up to you but can have an impact on your hunt. First focal plane scopes reticle aiming point changes with magnification.
This is a very cool feature, but you can get into situations where at higher magnification settings the reticle lines or points can actually cover up your target image.
The second focal plane is where the aiming point always stays the same size throughout all magnification ranges. The drawback to this type is that sometimes on higher magnification settings the reticle can be completely swallowed up by the image or very difficult to see.
For the best magnification results, you don’t really need anything super high powered for a 7mm mag. Ideally, you want your magnification setting to be on the lowest possible setting that gives you a complete, clear view of your entire target image.
Too much power and you’ll have a difficult time with target acquisition and tracking. Probably the best magnification ranges for this scope would be a 4-12x like
For going out into field settings, it’s important that your scope can perform under a bit of pressure. Drops, varied weather and light conditions are all things your scope will have to stand up to while still functioning perfectly, otherwise what’s the point?
You want a nice durable piece of equipment. A scope constructed of single piece tube is going to be much more durable than a two or multiple piece construction.
Coatings and treatment to the lens are very important. You want lenses that are fully multi-coated. This means that all lens to air surfaces are coated with multiple protective coatings.
These coatings aid the glass in scratch and abrasion resistance, shock resistance in case of a drop, clarity and light gathering, glare resistance, water shedding, and fog resistance. You also want your scope to be O-ring sealed and gas purged. This help with the fog proofing and makes your scope waterproof.
The Best Scopes For A 7mm Mag
- A versatile 3:1 zoom ratio erector system that is ideal for virtually any situation.
- 1/4 MOA precision finger click adjustments for windage and elevation offer absolute repeatability and dependability over a lifetime of extreme use.
- Absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity - each is ready for a lifetime in the field, in all conditions.
- The Multicoat 4 lens system delivers extreme clarity from edge to edge of the visual field, outstanding contrast, and a bright sight picture even in extreme low-light conditions.
- Made with Leupold's Proprietary nitrogen sealing process, which has become the industry standard. Rugged and absolutely waterproof.
The Leupold VX-1 is a compact 3-9x40mm that is rugged and versatile, with a 3:1 zoom ratio erector system that is ideal for virtually any situation, and absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity that makes it ready for all weather conditions
Other features of the Leupold VX-1 is the ¼ MOA precision finger click adjustments for windage and elevation, which offers absolute repeatability and dependability over a lifetime of extreme use.
The generous eye-box and longer eye relief allow you to get on target faster and provides a full, clear sight picture that fills the eye-box completely, incredible edge-to-edge brightness, and unparalleled head position latitude. Add to all of this the Leupold classic/standard lockable fast-focus eyepiece with low profile lock ring, and you’ve got an extreme scope!
Customers of this scope say that it is very high quality, and although it is not the top of the line scope of Leupold’s, it certainly performs that way, and with a great price point! They love the qualities if the crystal clear optics and dead-on accuracy, as well as the simplicity of the no-nonsense duplex reticle.
Customer complaints for this scope seem to be inconsistent and varied from blurriness and hazy spots to elevation adjustments not working properly and not being able to hold zero. Overall, it seems like individual defects as opposed to a broad problem with the scope itself.
⦁ compact, rugged waterproof and fog proof
⦁ 3:1 zoom ratio erector system
⦁ Multicoat 4 lens system
⦁ ¼ MOA precision finger click adjustments
⦁ generous eye-box and longer eye relief
⦁ lockable fast-focus eyepiece
⦁ Negative aspects of this scope are varied and inconsistent
Vortex Optics Viper HS-T
- The Viper HS-T 4-16x44 is one of multiple configurations in the Viper HS-T (Hunting & Shooting Tactical) line. VMR-1 Reticle (MRAD) is perfect for accurate holds at extended ranges.
- Incorporating our premium, fully multi-coated, extra-low dispersion lenses brings excellent resolution and color fidelity. The XR coatings provide enhanced light gathering capability while Armortek...
- The exposed target-style turrets are constructed for precise and repeatable finger-adjustable clicks. A CRS Zero Stop allows for reliable return to zero capability after dialing temporary elevation...
- A 4x zoom provides magnification versatility while the side focus parallax adjustment provides optimal image focus and parallax removal. The fast focus eyepiece allows the shooter to properly adjust...
- The one-piece tube is o-ring sealed and argon purged to ensure waterproof and fogproof performance. The Viper HS-T is a versatile yet simple riflescope that is at home in a hunting, target shooting,...
The Vortex Viper HS-T (Hunting & Shooting Tactical) is a second focal plane, 4-16x44mm scope, and is one of many configurations of this line. The VMR-1 (MRAD) reticle is perfect for accurate holds at extended ranges
The Viper HS-T features fully multi-coated, extra-low dispersion lenses with XR coatings for enhanced light gathering capabilities and Armortek coatings for superior lens protection. These features give you an optics with excellent resolution and color fidelity.
Construction of this scope consists of a solid one-piece tube that is O-ring sealed and argon purged for waterproof and fog proof performance.
Coupled with this are exposed tactical type turrets with precise, repeatable, finger-adjustable click adjustments and a CSR Zero Stop which allows for reliable return to zero capabilities after dialing in temporary elevation corrections. Overall, this is a simple and versatile scope that is perfect for any application you need.
This scope is a customer favorite. They love the bright, clear glass, the extreme accuracy at long ranges, and the all-around simplicity of the whole setup. This is a high-quality scope with excellent value and performance.
Customer complaints include blurriness at higher magnification settings and a possibility that the reticle may be misaligned.
⦁ second focal plane scope with a simple MRAD reticle
⦁ side adjustable parallax knob
⦁ fast-focus eyepiece
⦁ fully multi-coated lens with XR and Armortek coatings
⦁ solid one-piece tube construction that is waterproof and fog proof
⦁ tactical finger click, repeatable turrets
⦁ CSR Zero Stop for fast returning to zero
⦁ blurriness at higher magnification settings
⦁ possible reticle misalignment
- Featuring the Mildot Reticle with built-in aiming points for easier elevation adjustments
- Utilizes Nikon's fully multicoated optics for up to 98% light transmission
- Adjustments are made easy with Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
- A quick focus eyepiece allows the shooter to instantly bring the reticle into focus
- Optimized for use with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
The Nikon ProStaff 4-12×40 has a Mildot reticle with built-in aiming points for easier elevation adjustments, which is great for shooters engaging targets at varying yardages. The lenses on this scope are fully multi-coated to boost light transmission, resulting in a brighter, higher contrast image view.
Built ruggedly, the Nikon ProStaff is nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed for waterproof, fog proof and shockproof integrity. Precise, hand-turn ¼ inch click adjustments get your reticle zeroed in quicker while maintaining your setting, even under heavy recoil
Also, as always, this scope comes with Nikon’s no-fault repair/replacement policy and Nikon’s limited lifetime warranty. Win-win!
Customers of this scope praise its bright, clear optics and the easy to see and use reticle. They love the value of this scope, enjoying a high-quality optic for an easy to live with price, and note that the Spot On Ballistic app is spot on!
Most customer complaints have to do with a poor or false description for the scope features, and that the Mildot reticle may have MOA adjustments, which could be problematic.
⦁ Mildot reticle
⦁ fully multi-coated lenses
⦁ rugged, waterproof, fog proof and shockproof
⦁ hand-turn ¼ inch click adjustments
⦁ Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
⦁ Nikon’s no-fault repair/replacement policy and limited lifetime warranty
⦁ false product feature descriptions
⦁ possible MOA adjustments with the Mildot reticle
Burris Fullfield II
- The Burris hunting line of Riflescopes builds on over 40 years of optical engineering experience to offer scopes with clarity and unfailing reliability
- Shooting and hunting is more than a hobby. It's a way of life. Burris has always been a part of that life
- Fullfield II variable power 4.5x-14x-42mm matte black ballistic plex adjustable objective
- 1-piece tube construction, reinforced quad-seal gas seals and Hi-Lume Multi-coated lenses
The Burris Fullfield II is a variable power 4.5x-14x-42mm ballistic plex adjustable objective rifle scope. The one-piece tube construction coupled with reinforced quad-seal gas seals and Hi-Lume multi-coated lenses results in a waterproof, fog proof and shockproof scope, with unsurpassed clarity and unfailing reliability.
The Burris Fullfield II is also backed by the Burris forever warranty.
Customers of this scope are in love with the clarity and the brightness, the value, and the warranty. Most have agreed that the eye relief is very forgiving, and makes mounting very easy. Many really appreciate the ballistic plex reticle as well.
Some have commented that this scope can have a hard time holding zero and that it apparently does not come with lens caps.
⦁ variable power 4.5x-14x-42mm with ballistic plex reticle
⦁ quad-seal gas seals and Hi-Lume multi-coated lenses
⦁ waterproof, fog proof, shockproof
⦁ clear and reliable
⦁ Burris forever warranty
⦁ may have a hard time holding zero
⦁ no lens caps
- High precision tactical rifle scope with 6-24x magnification, a 50mm objective lens, and an eye relief of 4-4.5 inches
- Functionally designed first focal plane rangefinder reticle, with easy-to-read ranging information that remains constant regardless of magnification, for faster range estimation and holdover...
- Equipped with an adjustable objective lens - or AO - that allows for sharper focus of the target image, elimination of parallax, and range estimation
- Touch-button controlled reticle illumination in both red and green with multiple brightness intensities, for better reticle visibility at night or in low light in environments
- Package also includes set of high profile picatinny scope rings, a detachable honeycomb filter sunshade, a set of spring loaded flip-up lens covers, a felt drawstring carrying bag, a lint free...
The Monstrum Tactical 6-24×50 G2 is a first focal plane rifle scope with an illuminated rangefinder reticle, an adjustable objective and 4-4.5 inches of eye relief.
The easy-to-read ranging information of the range finding reticle remains constant regardless of magnification, for faster range estimation and holdover correction.
The adjustable objective lens allows for sharper focus of the target image, elimination of parallax ad range estimation. The reticle illumination comes in both red and green and is available with multiple brightness intensities for better reticle visibility at night or in low light conditions.
The Monstrum Tactical comes with a bunch of other accessories as well, including a set of high profile Picatinny scope rings, detachable honeycomb filter sunshade, a set of spring-loaded flip-up lens covers, a felt drawstring carrying bag, a lint-free cleaning cloth, and a CR2032 3v battery.
Customers of this scope like it as a budget-friendly option. Fans of this scope say that it is very large and that the magnification and focus is awesome. The easy to use functions make zeroing a breeze.
On the flip side, many customers have come away disappointed with this scope saying that the quality is very poor and the illumination really needs work. Another common complaint is that is won’t stay on sight and the glass really gets blurred.
⦁ first focal plane with illuminated rangefinder reticle
⦁ adjustable objective lens
⦁ comes with an array of extra accessories
⦁ budget friendly
⦁ said to be poor quality
⦁ illumination feature is faulty
⦁ won’t stay on target
I hope this guide has been a useful aid for your search for the best scope for a 7mm mag. With any scope that you think you may go with, be sure to read up on the reviews and visit the manufacturer’s websites for any additional information